College Football is officially back and man it feels good. In one of the biggest matchups of week one North Carolina and South Carolina travel to Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, North Carolina.
Why North Carolina will win
Quarterback Drake Maye. He's by the far best quarterback in the ACC and in this matchup. He's a Heisman contender and likely to be a top-five pick in the next NFL Draft. North Carolina also boasts a very deep running back room with six different rushers who ran for 100 yards last season. Not to mention South Carolina finished 117th out of 130 available teams in run defense. If they don't improve that UNC can get in a rhythm in the run game and make it easy for Drake Maye to find open targets, it could be a long night for the Gamecocks.
Why South Carolina will win
Starting with quarterback Spencer Rattler who ended the season on a tear throwing for 1,044 yards and 10 touchdowns in his last three games against Tennessee, Clemson, and Notre Dame. South Carolina ended the season going 2-1 meanwhile North Carolina finished the year going 0-4 and ending the season 9-5 after starting 9-1. Also, North Carolina will be without transfer wide receiver Tez Walker who accumulated 921 receiving yards and 11 touchdowns last season at Kent State.
Game Facts to Know:
- The most important stat to know in my opinion is that in the last four games in Bank of America Stadium, the underdog has covered the spread.
- South Carolina covered the spread of being a 2.5 underdog four times in eight matchups last season. (4-4 ATS) in 2022.
- In the Mack Brown Era 2.0 the underdog has covered each matchup.
- South Carolina has gone 7-2 in the last nine matchups in the series.
- North Carolina is 2-4 ATS in their last six games.
- North Carolina is 1-5 ATS in their last six games against the SEC.
- South Carolina is 7-3 S/U in their last ten matchups.
- North Carolina missed the over in their four of five games, meanwhile, South Carolina hit the over in their last four out of five games.
How to bet on North Carolina vs. South Carolina
Finally what you came here for. I think both defenses will struggle to stop both offenses in this matchup and I expect the over/under total of 63 to hit the over fairly easily. After researching all the facts I'm gonna go with what I have talked myself into. Give me South Carolina to straight-up win over North Carolina. So give me South Carolina +2.5.
So to clarify I'd bet the over of 63 and take South Carolina to cover the spread of +2.5 against the Tar Heels.
Like I said this will be a high-scoring matchup with lots of offensive fireworks.
South Carolina 38 North Carolina 34
Support Out Partners
Do you drink coffee? You can save on great tasting BULLETPROOF coffee! Use promo code STADIUMRANT20 for 20% off your order at BULLETPROOF.com!
Make sure to check out more articles like this at https://www.stadiumrant.com and follow our X account @StadiumRant. Make sure to follow me on X @WilliamLH21 for sports-related content.
Do you play fantasy sports? Check out Trophy Smack for your next league prize!